House of Coimbatore


In 1982 Fr Augustine Ampattukuzhiyil and Bro Basil went to Coimbatore in Tamilnadu in search of a place; they found a suitable house, bought it and began staying there. Thus the community was inaugurated on 20 August 1982. They opened a book centre right in front of the Cathedral of Coimbatore, on Big Bazar Street, not far from the railway station. Fr M. K. Paul was the first superior of the community, and under his guidance the community and the book centre flourished. It was a house of apostolate, meant also for recruiting vocations from Tamilnadu.

The vocation plan did not function well. The book centre used to conduct very successful diffusison programmes and book exhibitions in the Nilgiris. However, the later superiors did not do well, financial burdens increased, and so the house of Coimbatore was closed in 1991, and the property was sold.


Agenda Paolina

 16/11/2018

† SSP: D. Giuseppe Fossato (1991) - D. José Carlos Feliciano (1996) - D. Valentino Grosso (2013) • FSP: Sr. Bice Riva (1988) - Sr. M. Timotea García (1995) - Sr. M. Emilia Molaschi (1996) - Sr. Corinna Leone (2013) • PD: Sr. Metilde Betocchi (1956) • IGS: D. Vincenzo Afeltra (1997) - D. Wilfried Paschen (2006) • ISF: Francesco Badellino (2005) - Leonella Rondina (2016).

Thoughts

 16/11/2018 The Acts of the Apostles and the Epistles of St Paul are the teachings of Jesus lived by the disciples, exposed, adapted to the needs of the faithful, from those to whom Jesus entrusted the care of continuing His work: there is nothing more touching, more effective than this first commentary of the Gospel (ACV, 67).